Monday, August 23, 2010

Ibrahim's second Dairy

The mentality about Samsung brand
February 20th, 2009
Wow !!! Critical thinking really brought back to me some momeries which had happened in the past.

                                            RECALLING THE MOMENT 
                                    
I recalled an event that went on then between me, my elder brother and a sales manager  at Park ‘n’ shop shopping mall which I am going to share with you in just a moment. It was crazy, fun and memorable. Some people  stick to their mentality no matter what. Here I go:
It  was a time for my brother to get married but there were some pre-arrangements that needed to be done prior to the marriage. After his studies, he immediately got a job with one government agency  which enabled him  with the little income he was earning to start building a house in order for him to secure a living with his wife ,on seeing his sedulous efforts, our father supported him financially to enable him complete the journey he had embarked on(BUILDING A HOUSE ). Before you know it, the house  was completed.
 It was a brighter Monday morning when my brother came to me and said ,hey ! Ibrahim as you are aware I have finished building  my house  now it is time to furnish the it, I then said brother you are right , so? He then said would you mind if I ask you to accompany me to make some purchases of electronics? I said no I don’t mind at all when should we go now? He said later at 2:30pm I answered ok I will be available. I then went and dressed up so curious waiting for the time because I knew  I was not just accompanying him but to get my own shopping too haha!!.The time was due I met him in the sitting room and said brother I am set, he said ok let’s go.Finally we were  in the car cruising ….bummmmm……bummmmmm…..bummmmmmm.

                          While in the car on the way to the shopping mall
                              
                      
I started asking him brother which brand are you going for? I suggest you buy LG because I once saw it in my friend’s house,it's very nice it has very good sound system, light weight  and it also consumes less power compared to other brands .I was just talking not knowing that he had choice  already which I am going to tell you shortly, as I  was talking he was just driving  and kept on saying ok..ok..that is nice brand..nodding his head up and down. At last  we arrived the place. We stepped out of the car and  walked through the glass doors into the Mall. On entry into the mall a guy came up and said  you are welcome Sirs, how may I help you?  We said thank you, could you please direct us to the electronics section? He said yes sure come with me, we were behind him,he took us, then my brother said I need “SAMSUNG BRAND” I said HUHH??? Samsung ?? yes said him.

                                 The brands he likes                                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                        
                      

             

 I didn’t  even tried to persuade him to buy LG  again I just  kept my mouth shut .We went all round couldn’t see any Samsung brand, I was happy he said what should we do  now go to another mall? I said no as you know this is the biggest and the cheapest mall in this city, I said may be choose another brand since  Samsung is not  the best, he said No it’s,  let’s go and see the sales manager to ask when is it (Samsung) going to be available . We went to the manager’s office he welcomed us and said you need any help? My brother said actually we are here to buy three things namely: a 52” high definition screen, a refrigerator and split air -conditioning  system all SAMSUNG BRANDED. The manager said oh!!! So sorry sir we don’t  have stock at the moment and it will take couple of months because we have to ship from abroad, my brother asked how many months precisely one or two? The manager  said I can’t guarantee you because we import in a very large quantity and it is subject to Custom clearance that is why we can’t say when unless if you can wait but it  takes minimum of three months in normal condition, the manager further said even  other retailers in the city do came here to purchase from us and for now they are  also out of stock. I  would have suggested you go there and search for your luck but why don’t you buy other brands like LG,SONNY ,PANASONIC etc they are good  brands also at some extent even better than Samsung.He tried to do some promotions by saying all these brands I mentioned have  tree years warranty each so you need not to worry you are safe.

Some of the alternative brands recommended                                                                                                                                          



                                                 
                                      
                                                       









My brother said I don’t think I’ll like any other than samsung because I have an uncle who had an LG refrigerator and after three months of use it got spoiled ,he then bought  a sonny brand after one year it couldn’t work properly  but the Samsung TV he bought along is still working like a new one therefore I think SAMSUNG is the best brand so I’ll prefer to wait, meanwhile let me make a reservation. He deposited some money and got a receipt , we went back home with nothing and he got married two months later  without a TV to watch, aircon and refrigerator.It was until after three and half months he got  a call from the manager asking him to come over and get his goods.We went and balanced the money and received the goods.He was so excited.Luckily my Dad bought a new sonny branded 52” screen also at that same time.
After one year and seven months my bro’s TV started having problem(over heating and offing  itself)he took it for repairs  spent money it then worked normal and after some months again a different one,he took it again for repairs the technician said sir you need to pay  ₦23,000 (nearly have the price of the TV) to get your TV fixed because there are two chips that burnt and I have travel to Lagos(a place in my country) to get them, not sold here,he was confused but at home we are using our LG TV with no any headache,I said silently in my heart  (I advised you but you wouldn’t listen Mr samsung). He had to take it back home and waited until end of the month (for his salary) to buy another one but it was not  samsung again this time rather LG,in a joke I asked brother  are you still going for 52” ? I think you should buy 62” in order to avoid the same problem,he said to me would you allow me to buy Samsung again? I said yes why not? It’s your choice  and after all it is the BEST… he said no the WORST….hahaha.. I laughed.He got it finally and as I speak to you now he is still using it  with no complain.
Lastly,all I am trying to say here is that my brother had OVER GENERALiSED THAT BRANDS OTHER THAN SAMSUNG are not good since our  uncle bought  an LG refrigerator and after three months of use it got spoiled ,he then bought  a sonny brand after one year it couldn’t work properly  but the Samsung TV he bought along is still working like a new one therefore he thinks SAMSUNG is the best brand so he will  prefer not to use any brand other than Samsung. Fallacy of Hasty Generalization reminded me of this scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment