Thursday, August 26, 2010

Sayed hussain hadi's BCT Dairy




 Prepared by Sayed hussain hadi   ID: 1061110870
                         When I wanted to become a smoker
                         
Long time ago, my mother used to tell me not to smoke because my father was smoking in front of me all the time. She told me that if I smoke the first thing will happen to me is my teeth will be yellow, but I said how if I wash my teeth everyday?
My mother want to persuade me to not even think about being a smoker, so she said to me if your teeth become yellow , then your smile will be ugly which will make ladies avoid talking to you  Not only that she also added the idea that my smell will be awful which will make people run away from me and if no one wants to be around me I will be lonely or uncomfortable. My response was like what if I use perfume? Because at that time I was a smoker but I didn't want my mum to find out. But she kept quite for few minutes.

After that she started to talk about facts, that smoking will lead me to like for example, have cancer or many other diseases that could make my life miserable and that in the end   will pay for the cost and will suffer the pain, and she said you will remember that if you don't take my advice.

                        cigarettes will lead to sad ending.

                                    
This conversation was a clear example about ad populum appeal to indirect consequences (slippery slope argument). The reason that made her to tell me about all these consequences is to make me believe that smoking is bad, but there is many other possibilities that could happen in the future, which can change the outcomes in the future, for example I may smoke for few months and I figure out that smoking is wasting of time and money, and I may change my mind and stop it by myself. So at this point we can see that my mother did some mistakes in her reasoning for this argument, but any mother would say that for her son.

No comments:

Post a Comment