Thursday, August 26, 2010

Old experience

Prepared by Sayed hussain hadi
ID: 1061110870

Vagueness or vague statement is something that is totally not accurate or clear. Although some speakers use vague language when they are unable or unwilling to give accurate information, or they think it is either unnecessary or socially inappropriate to do so.

 A good example of vague language is rounding up numbers when telling the time. Twenty-six minutes past two becomes:
It's about half past two.
It's almost half past two.
It's half two-ish.
It's nearly half past two.
Often, speakers use vague language not because they do not have accurate information, but because they feel it is more polite to make a less definite statement.
Well let me tell you a story that happened to me, one day I was sitting in the coffee shop with one of my friends, this friend from united arab states (UAE) while we were drinking our coffee he said that UAE is the best country in the world. So I was curious about his statement and I asked him why would you say that? Based on what!
But this friend didn't give me any reason that will explain that he is right. Therefore I became confused about what he said. Because when we want to assess any statement we need to know the standard and the arguer must be certain about his statement, and he must choose his words carefully. 

My point in this story is that now I can differentiate between valid argument and vague statement, which make my conversations with other people so easy and simple. In fact critical thinking class I have gained a lot of knowledge and new ways in evaluating people's discussion. 

                                   An example of vague conversation

No comments:

Post a Comment